Smart refrigerators are here. This means that consumers are now on the cusp of a new revolution in how they shop and how they live.
A century ago, refrigerators changed our lives. Before that, foodstuffs kept in the house had to be shelf stable or consumed quickly. This meant that consumers needed to buy food on a more regular basis, costing consumers more in the long run.
But, this is the 21st Century and we are not in your grandma’s kitchen anymore. Today, in addition to ice and water, smart refrigerators come equipped with newer features for the modern family. Wi-Fi and Bluetooth capabilities give you more control of your kitchen.
Here are five smart refrigerators that we think are worth looking at.
To start off, LG has impressed us a lot lately. They have jumped from the smartphone market into other smart device markets with no difficulty. From the level craftsmanship, you could assume that they had been building fridges and ovens for decades.
Some features include:
- Extra tall water and ice dispenser measures in at an ultra-accommodating 12.6 inches to fit just about all your containers
- Slim SpacePlus ice system on refrigerator door frees up extra shelf space and makes way for additional door bin space
- NSF certified water filter reduces impurities to provide you with the great tasting water and ice you expect
- Smart Cooling technology maintains optimal humidity and temperature levels so your food stays fresher, longer; digital sensors constantly monitor conditions within the refrigerator, while linear compressor reacts quickly to maintain ideal temperature to keep your food fresh
A fridge that allows you to talk to family, view what is inside and surf for recipes? A smart refrigerator of smart refrigerators that allows you to look inside your fridge from anywhere (especially at the grocery store, when you forgot your list and need to decide if you need 5 dozen eggs)? All we can say is this has the bells and whistles that will make the inner home automation geek in all of us come out.
You might not be able to boil water, but this will want to make you cook!
Some features include:
- Samsung Voice by Bixby – Integrated Voice Activated Features
- View Inside – 3 built-in digital cameras take a picture of the inside of your fridge, and you can view directly from your mobile device allowing you to view inside your Family Hub anytime, anywhere; Point and zoom feature to see more detail
- Counter-Depth – Sleek, built-in design
- FlexZone – Versatile, bottom right fridge compartment that converts freezer to fridge
- Triple Cooling System – Keeps food fresher and longer
- 22 cu. ft. capacity – a Large capacity to fit all your favorite foods
- Ice Master – produces up to 5.3 lbs. of ice per day
- High-Efficiency LED Lighting – Brighter, cooler, and more energy-efficient
We have to admit, the window did not impress us at first. Especially when set up against Samsung’s video screen one. However, it grew on us. It is the easy tech alternative and has the benefit of allowing us to check what to grab before even opening the door.
Some features include:
- Counter-depth refrigerator fits flush with your counter and seamlessly with your kitchen
- Adapts to your needs by giving you additional refrigerator or soft freezer space when you most need it
- The LG Slim SpacePlus Ice System provides the most shelf space
- Just slide back the clear covers and dig in! These easy-to-reach compartments are right in front and ideal for storing small snacks, such as veggies, cheese, small pudding cups, lunch meats and much more
- Smart Cooling Plus is designed to monitor and maintain conditions to help keep food fresh
- Cleaner, fresher air thanks to the Fresh Air Filter
- SmartDiagnosis helps the service center diagnose problems over the phone, helping you troubleshoot quickly
Coffee in your water dispenser in the fridge? Why yes, I think I will. By far one of the most innovative add-ons in the market for smart refrigerators, GE is betting on being a player for decades. Unlike many other durable machine home appliance makers, GE has not been afraid to jump into the smart appliance market.
This smart fridge is just proof of that.
This smart fridge is geared for even the least tech savvy among us.
Some features include:
- Keurig K-cup brewing system – The unexpected convenience of hot single-serve brewing at your fridge
- Hot Water Scheduling – Have hot water waiting for you any time of day. Just schedule hot water through the GE Kitchen App, and enjoy ultimate convenience
- Full-width, electronic temperature-controlled drawer with colored LED lights – 3 accurate settings deliver the optimal temperature for your favorite foods, while colored lights indicate the chosen setting
- Advanced water filtration uses RPWF replacement filter – Removes trace pharmaceuticals from water and ice
- TwinChill evaporators – Separate climates in the fresh food and freezer sections help keep foods fresh
- Showcase LED lighting – Positioned throughout the interior and under fresh food doors to spotlight foods inside the refrigerator and in the freezer
One thing is for sure, LG has brought its “A game” to the smart gadget market. Having two spots on this list testifies to that. This Studio refrigerator shows that they plan on being a major player in the home appliance market.
The STUDIO comes with the following features:
- Door-in-Door feature gives you easy access to beverages and snacks and bonus door bins for added organization and storage
- Door-in-Door with ColdSaver Panel reduces cold air loss to help keep food fresher longer
- Digital Temperature Controls designed to maintain humidity and temperature levels to help keep your food fresher, longer; digital sensors constantly monitor conditions within the refrigerator to keep things cool
- Multi-Air Flow System is designed to maintain superior humidity and temperature levels to help keep your food fresher, longer; digital sensors constantly monitor conditions and strategically-placed vents in every section help surround your food with cool air
Smart refrigerators, final thoughts
Refrigerators have come a long way. Today, they can relay so much information about their contents and status. No more opening the door to see what to cook, you know it before you open the door. They are now a smart device at home in any house.
Pair any one of these smart refrigerators up with a smart oven to have a highly efficient, productive kitchen.
However, they still have a long way to go. It is not beyond reason to one day have refrigerators text you when you are running low on milk. Maybe a friendly email to buy eggs on the way home. It would be nice to see the smart refrigerator with a barcode scanner to keep an accurate inventory of its contents.
Until there are food replicators, we can only hope the market continues to put out smarter and smarter fridges.